Recovering from a lost password
Recovery from a lost password requires direct access to the serial port and a system reset.
NOTEYou can perform this procedure only from the CLI.
Follow the steps given below to recover from a lost password.
- Start a CLI session over the serial interface to the device.
- Reboot the device.
- At the initial boot prompt at system startup, enter b to enter the boot monitor mode.
- Enter no password at the prompt. (You cannot abbreviate this command.) This command will cause the device to bypass the system password check.
- Enter boot system flash primary at the prompt.
- After the console prompt reappears, assign a new password.